Thursday, March 22, 2012

Flight Full ... again


I'm attempting to learn from my mistakes. I'm trying to splurge when it's useful. Yesterday, I treated myself to an express train from the airport. It was three times the cost of the standard Airport Link train but probably took one-third the time to my destination. It certainly demands balance though. I'm currently trying to evaluate the potential backlash that this unheeding financial outlook will have upon my return to New York. I was so proud of myself for landing right within my anticipated six-week budget upon my last (scheduled) day in Thailand. (You and I both know that this was no coincidence.) Granted, it was close and these extra days have pushed me beyond the limits. I'm even tempted to just disregard all of my principles and book a business class seat so that I can soar home in comfort. Yeah, we'll see if that happens. I'm still considering how I can make it through the night without booking another hotel room. What can I say? I live my life in extremes: yin & yang.
The current situation is as follows: the flight was full again this morning. Both this morning and last, it felt closer. Yesterday, I was the only one left standing and this morning it came down to only myself and one other person. It's clear to me that Im getting so close to landing a seat on this flight. But I've been told that the outlook for Saturday's flight is pretty bleak. I may give it one last attempt tomorrow or this might be the point where I purchase a ticket on another carrier. It appears as though I'll have to spend about $1,000 for a one-way which is about two-thirds of what the original trip would have cost back in November if I had purchased a confirmed seat rather than a standby ticket. In hindsight, yeah … I know.
I've pretty much concluded that my biggest fear in life … get ready for it … is dogs. I'm reflecting upon how silly it was when I was complaining about Chiang Mai's stray cats rubbing up against my ankles. The other day — as I was trying to find a way to walk … yes, I said it. To walk to the airport in order to save on cab fare — I was on a secluded road and found myself suddenly surrounded by four growling, angry dogs. I did my best to maintain my stride, look forward, keep moving, and disguise the scent of my prostrate fears. But my heart was pounding as I could feel an occasional snout brush up against my bare achilles. It's been a fear of mine ever since I was a child but the situations in which I've found myself in this country have been confounding. Street dogs seem to be a problem here … or, at least they are when found nipping at my heels. It's happened four or five times since I arrived here; let's just say that I'm glad that I made it through that one unscathed.
I do seem to fit right in here though. No longer am I the freakishly skinny or freakishly flexible one. The majority of the boys are small here and some, even tinier than myself. Plus, they all have impeccably well-fitting pants. I suppose it's a product of having some of the best (and cheapest) tailors in the world. They're all here. If I had more room in my bags, I would definitely come home with a few pairs of $22 custom-made pants. Next time. I did take Jakob's advice of purchasing an additional suitcase for transporting goods but that was quickly consumed with gifts and souvenirs for others.
But there will be a next time … a time when I can put into practice everything that I've learned on this maiden voyage. It's a terrific way of life over here. It's rare to find hot water plumbing because, even during the coldest part of the year, the low only drops to about 60°. There's often no temperature control at the faucets. No hot or cold. It's just on or off. Simplicity. It's the same situation with the showers unless there's a supplementary water heating device which hangs on the wall attached to several hoses. The plumbing is definitely different here. As is the traffic control. You know those buttons provided at the crosswalks? You know … the ones that frantic pedestrian commuters incessantly pound upon in hopes that the traffic light will foster a shift in the destiny of their morning routine? In Thailand, those buttons actually do something. If pressed once, the crosswalk signal will immediately start to blink and within four seconds, the adjacent traffic light prompts the cars to stop. Granted, not all of the motorists will acknowledge this signal, still … it's a start. I'm going to test this theory with the elevator buttons as well.
It's a lovely, easy-going, way of life. If something doesn't work, you fix it. If there's a more efficient way to get something done, you explore it. In the men's room at the airport in Ko Samui, there's an enormous salt water fish tank situated directly above the urinals. It just makes for a lovely ambiance … while you pee. I can just imaging the items on the janitor's checklist: re-fill toilet paper: , clean the urinals: , feed the fish: . There's a secret cafeteria that I've discovered in the Bangkok airport. It's situated in the furthest corner of the airport, far from the Starbucks and the farang (tourist) sit-down establishments. There are no signs for it, and there is no luggage permitted within. It's delightful. It offers authentic Thai food at authentic prices. Upstairs in the food court, you'll pay 190 baht for mango & sticky rice. Down here, it's 20 baht. Yes! Yesterday I tried some delightful desserts: banana and pumpkin swimming in sugar and coconut milk. Today, I had a sweet potato curry and a mushroom soup with more varieties of mushrooms than you can count on both hands. If I hadn't been forced to make the airport my second home for the past four days, I likely would have never discovered this gem. I'm considering applying for a job here at the airport. I think I'd be great at collecting those luggage carts or wiping down the stainless steel railings. I'm here everyday and I think it would be great to have something to occupy my time rather than eating yummy food all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment