Sunday, February 12, 2012

Temples

I swung by Wat Phra Singh on Wednesday. It was the first temple that I visited and allegedly, a great place to start. It's Chiang Mai's most visited temple which houses one of the most revered Buddha image. There's a nearly identical Buddha image in Bangkok and it's a complete mystery as to which is the original. My favorite part is the garden in the back where one can peruse a collection of Buddhist mantras posted on trees. I had a fun time playing with sun-splashed photos on my phone.


Wat Hua Khuang is not listed in the guidebook as one of the must-see's but, on Thursday, I stumbled upon it and was drawn toward it. Though the founding date is unknown, this is likely one of the city's oldest. (Possibly as early as 1465.) It's bright and well-kept. Obstructed by the long alley entranceway, are is a sweeping three-tiered rooftop and ornate, glimmering plasterwork. I suppose what attracted me most was the sculpted elephant standing guard. Inside the main bòht is a regal Bronze Sitting Buddha found in one of the most common sitting positions. The right hand is placed on the ground with all fingers touching with the palm facing inward. The left hand rests in the lap, palm up intended to symbolize the union of wisdom and method in order to resist against the temptations luring the Buddha from his spiritual life.


On Saturday, I hit three more temples. The first of which was Wat Chedi Luang which boasts a chedi believed to be one of the tallest structures in ancient Chiang Mai. The structure first caught my eye from behind, peaking between two mod seventies-style motels. I didn't know it at the time, but this was the first of the temples on my list for the day. The damaged structures are said to have been destroyed by cannon fire of King Taksin in 1775 and it's fascinating to see the scars and gouges in the ancient construction. I can't tell if this one is in the Standing Buddha or Walking Buddha position. Either way, it's pretty impressive along with all of the disciples depicted in front.


Wat Phan Tao was one of my favorites. It's constructed almost entirely of teak which gives it a dark and gloomy antique feel. It's simple, quiet, and serene. Those descriptors also fit perfectly to illustrate the garden in the rear. There's a tiny pond packed with excited carp and even a little waterfall situated next to a line of six huge Thai bells. I foresee spending lots of study-time in this garden during the weeks to come.


In terms of mystery and allure, Wat Chiang Man wins the prize. Within, lie two Buddha images so important that they're stored behind glass and three separate series of protective bars. These security measures make it quite difficult to get a good look but one of the two stands less than four inches high and is made of crystal. The inside walls are dressed with a modern red-and-gold stenciled mural depicting the life of Chiang Mai's founding father.

No comments:

Post a Comment