Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Big Weekend Trip!

This past weekend, I decided to skip town. I started my journey off with a morning trip to Wat Doi Suthep. This temple is located on a mountain high above Chiang Mai 15 km from the city. This temple is known for its impressive views but my tactic of arriving early to beat the crowds left me with a pretty foggy view of the city where I've lived for the past three weeks. There's a legend involving a white elephant who climbed up Doi Suthep carrying a remnant of Buddha's shoulder bone. The elephant died here which signaled the King to build a temple at the site. I climbed 309 stairs to reach the spectacular gold-encrusted chedi at the top. The mountain was likely quite a bit more difficult to climb in the days of that white elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment