Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's about freedom. That's what makes vacation so lovely. You can do whatever you want whenever you want and however you want. (And I think traveling alone allows for even more of that.) Granted, there are impediments, of course. For instance, the rain today was a huge impediment for me. Quite inconvenient. There were several activities that I missed today because of a few random downpours. I've been told that this type of weather is entirely atypical for this time of year and today, I was actually accused of bringing the rain with me. Trust me, if I had my choice …

I have three separate outfits hanging to dry in the closet as we speak. Getting caught in the rain in NYC on my mountain bike is one of my least favorite things. But being a newbie on the motor bike while rarely knowing where exactly I'm headed and how exactly I'm going to get there — that makes things so much more burdensome. But the rain didn't stop be from starting my day at a nearby lake which is a destination for the locals. It was early in the day so I was literally the only one there. Peaceful and tranquil. I drove the circumference of the lake along the windy, jungle road. Then it was off to breakfast. Again, I have no idea what I ate but it was delicious. The cook came out at one point and was flattered when I went back up for a second helping. Little does he know that I always go back for seconds. I didn't let on though; I allowed him to delight in the moment.

Next, I was off to Kathu Waterfall. It paled in scale to some of the other waterfalls I've seen yet it was still nice to be enveloped by the sounds of nature: the water, the locusts, the fogs. (In yoga, we have Frog Pose and Locust Pose but no Water Pose. I'll work on that one.) Following the waterfall, I made it through some of the rain before stopping in for a coffee and some shelter. In the rain on the bike, my vision is obstructed, I have a hard time breathing as I'm being pelted with drops, the wind sends chills through my bones, and I'm drenched. There's only so much that I can bear before seeking refuge. But stopping for coffee every hour can cause issues for this caffeine-sensitive boy.

Determined, I continued on to Phuket Town which reminds me a lot of Chiang Mai. It definitely bears more of an urban feel than most of the island. Chinese shrines are much more prevalent here than the typical Buddhist temple. I managed to find a traditional Buddhist temple where there was some sort of ceremony in action. I was reluctant to take a photo because I thought that it may have been a funeral. However, I decided that the guests were enjoying themselves entirely too much for it to be a gathering of mourning. Besides … when you die, do you want your life to be celebrated with three huge roast pigs under a tent in the rain?

I discovered an awesome night market where you can find all sorts of food and wares … even chicken feet. I mean, that's what those are in the photo above, right? [Click on the image for a closer look.] What else could they be? Do people really eat those? I promise you that I will not purchase anything from a vendor who also sells chicken feet. I also stumbled upon a few incredible viewpoints which overlook the entire city. It was impressive at night but I can't wait to wake up early tomorrow morning in order to get a daytime taste of the visuals. I stopped in at the mountaintop restaurant for Green Papaya Salad.

I have to pack things up again tonight. Four nights in Kathu and tomorrow I'm off to my next destination. It's only thirty minutes south of here but I'm transferring to a place which is a bit more luxurious and a bit more conveniently located for the beach. I'll be paying twice what I'm paying here but I managed to negotiate $13 less per night than what the owner was originally asking. That knocked 25% off the price. I can hear the rain outside; it's pouring. While I'm on my bike in the rain, I find myself audibly pleading with the rain to stop. "Okay, give me a break; please stop raining." "Alright, just wait. Give me ten minutes. That's all it will take before I'm home. Ten minutes. Come on, you can do that." The locals must think I'm nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment